Monday, October 27, 2008

Withdrawal of Feeding Tube, Current Event

Most nurses and doctors can tell the difference between stopping feeding and intentionally starving a patient. Last week I was asked to take a "special case" in which a 50yr old patient's wife chose to stop feedings. Patient was in a vegetative state due to electrocution 25 yrs ago and hasw lived in the nursing home since. Patient aspirated on his feeding 10 days ago and wife made this decision.

Patient has abilities of an 8month old infant and does respond to me, reaches out to me, throws me his stuffed animal, screams in pain, curses, makes eye contact, recognizes me. This is an extremely uncomfortable case and I keep reminding myself that this is legal. He is starving to death, which will take about a month.

Jennifer B

No comments: