Thursday, December 11, 2008

Placebo Effect

A nationwide survey this year suggested that as many as half of U.S. doctors prescribe a fake treatment — or placebo — at least once a month.

That sounds.. relatively harmless to me. Studies have shown repeatedly that placebos are effective in treating health complaints with a strong psychological component, such as pain, depression, constipation and erectile dysfunction. As long as the pill that I am given is having its desired effect (i.e. reducing the itching on the rash I want to go away, calming my anxiety, etc.), then I have no problems with not knowing that there is actually no real "medicine" in the harmless pill.

However, the survey ALSO found that most doctors who prescribed placebos actually were using real drugs not proven effective in treating patients' complaints. These "impure placebos," such as antibiotics and sedatives, could be doing more harm than good.

And THAT.. is when it becomes frightening. It's one thing if I am being prescribed harmless "sugar pills" which do nothing but alleviate the mental component of my "illness", and thereafter alter some physical effects as well. It's entirely a different stories when I am unknowingly putting actual drugs with actual effects (and possible side effects) into my body without full disclosure by the physician. That to me is a very scary thought, borderlining on malpractice.

Article found at: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-12-10-placebo_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

3 comments:

MH said...

Do people really not know that antibiodics do absolutely nothing for viral infecetion (like a cold or the flu)? It seesm like everyone I work with goes to the doctor to get antibiotics for a cold. I think they INSIST on being given something and the doctors give them antibodics because it 'couldn't hurt'. Of course it can. Although an adverse drug-reaction is always a concern, I think it's much worse that you can develop resistence to antibiotics and they may not effectively fight a real infection when you need them to. I read the article you linked and think the AMA is being short-sighted. Instead I agree with you that placebos should have a place in clinical medicine. I think its ok to forgo patient consent when there is no risk to the patient, the 'lack' of consent is part of the treatment, and no definitive promises of relief are given.

MH said...

Sorry - forgot to sign my comment.
PJM

Unknown said...

I agree that it's bordering on malpractice to prescribe not just sugar pills but drugs that will affect that patient. And this has terrible implications for worsening society's concept of medical professionalism. It's the internet age - how many of these patients are going to simply take the medication without question, and how many will search for information on it, learn the truth, and never trust doctors again?

Also has bad implications for medical resource management. We're over-prescribed as it is - this is just adding a massive and totally unnecessary cost to our health care system that will only mean higher premiums.