Thursday, November 27, 2008

http://news.aol.com/article/poll-rates-most-and-least-ethical-jobs/259161?icid=100214839x1214058528x1200860973


Why is it that every year nurses are voted the most ethical of professions? I will be very proud and pleased to explain it to you.
The philosophy and understand standing of ethics in healthcare is taught directly from the first day of nursing school. While we are learning the biology and science of medicine we are constantly reminded of the ramifications of what could go wrong given a situation. This concept is driven into our head at every turn and the answers on every multiple-choice question. In addition, the instructors also boost our pride at every opportunity by glorifying the profession and reminding us that we are the patient advocate. Our primary purpose in life is to protect the patient from harm and to educate them because we have better bedside manners.
This is not the case in every culture I have found however. Specifically in some east Indian cultures I have come to learn that nurse is our one of the bottom respected professions. As a matter of fact lower than a housekeeper, janitor, maid. For whatever reason having to care for the old and sick is not respected. I have run into this discrimination many times in my career and now do not take offense by this. I view it as an opportunity to engage more fiercely with that family member or patient that usually is not getting the appropriate emotional care they deserve as a human being.
I plan to use my law degree in the area of advocacy within the court systems. Although I do this every day through communication and facilitation, I know there are some patients who get caught up in the legal system with no appropriate representation. I have been complemented many times on this natural ability. A recent manager of mine once stated on my review, “I always want you on my side and God help me if I am up against you on a patient issue.”.

1 comment:

MH said...

Matt this was posted by me, Jennifer B.